IMD International (2011-2012)
The five application deadlines
After each deadline, the IMD MBA admissions committee performs an initial evaluation of all the complete applications. Within 6 weeks, we inform you if we would like to meet you for the on-campus assessment day.
Position sought after graduation
Please give us your short term career goal post MBA (up to 5 years). Describe how the IMD MBA will help you achieve this goal and how you will approach your job search. (Maximum 2000 characters)
Most important achievement
What do you consider to be your single most important achievement and why? (Maximum 1230 characters)
Each question only allows 1230 characters.
Essay 1: Two situations of importance to you (maximum 1230 characters for each situation)
Essay 2: Failure to reach objective
Please comment on a situation where you failed to reach an objective and what you learned from it.
Essay 3: Leadership
Describe a situation where you had to demonstrate strong leadership skills. Explain how effective you were and what you learned.
Essay 4: Describe yourself
How do you imagine your superior would describe your strengths and weaknesses to someone who does not know you?
Essay 5: International Exposure
Describe a situation where you successfully worked across cultures and/or nations.
Essay 6: Differentiators
IMD receives numerous applications per year. Give us four bullet points that clearly differentiate you from this applicant pool.
Essay 7: Alternatives
If you are not admitted, what alternatives will you consider？
Essay 8: Finance
Please explain how you intend to finance your studies at IMD. What would be your budget?
Essay 9: Disability / illness
Do you have a disability or illness that could affect your performance at IMD? If so, please explain.
Essay 10: Additional Information
Optional question: Is there any additional information that is critical for the Admissions Committee to know which has not been covered elsewhere in this application?
Three letters of recommendation are required. Tips on selecting recommenders:
Choose people who know you well and with whom you have mutual respect over someone with an important title.
Balance your choices: choose people that represent diverse facets of your professional life spanning various companies and years (preferably direct managers).
Alternatively, choose someone who has shared an experience with you either in your professional career or an extracurricular activity (mentors, charity event coordinators, colleagues, etc).
1. How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?
2. What do you consider to be the applicant’s top three strengths (feel free to use the “skills” on the grid of page 2 as guidance)?
3. Describe the applicant’s role in your organization. What has his/her single most important contribution been to the organization?
4. In terms of future leadership potential for a senior management position in your company, what role would you consider the applicant to play in 10 years’ time if he or she were still employed with your company?
5. What do you consider to be the applicant’s weaknesses or opportunities for improvement?
6. Please give us your appraisal of the applicant in terms of the qualities listed below. Rate the applicant in comparison with other persons of his/her age whom you consider to have a clear potential for leadership in management.
Intellect & competence in his/her field
7. Teamwork is very important in the IMD MBA. Can you give an example that shows the team skills of the applicant?
8. Based on your interaction with the