Cornell University: Johnson
2012-2013 Application Dates
Application Deadlines: applications need to be submitted by Midnight Eastern Time.
Decisions: Decisions will appear on the Johnson Application page at Noon Eastern Time.
Deposit Deadlines: Accepted students must submit a $1,500 enrollment deposit by Noon Eastern Time on deposit date for the round. As a policy, we do not offer deposit extensions.
*The Two-Year MBA program requires an additional $1,500 deposit payment on June 1st. The second deposit payment is due on June 1st at Noon Eastern Time.
Scholarships: All application rounds are eligible to apply for scholarship consideration.
Formatting suggestions: 12 pt. font, Times New Roman, single spacing.
1. Career Choice Essay (short- 300 word maximum)
How would you characterize your career since college?
This is not a full job description or complete history of all your jobs since graduating (we already ask for that in the online portion and can see this on your resume). You need to choose the most important elements that show contribution, leadership and results achieved.
2. Career Goal Essay (short- 400 word maximum)
Tell us about your short and long term career goals.
Please show you have a clear direction for your goal post-MBA. Good essays will emphasize what an applicant wants to do while at Johnson and how you will use the experience to accomplish your goal.
3. Character Essay (short- 400 word maximum for chosen question), please choose one of the following:
a. You are the author for the book of Your Life Story. Please write the table of contents for the book.
Note: Approach this essay with your unique style. We value creativity and authenticity.
b. Describe a situation taken from your personal or professional life where you failed and tell us what you learned.
c. What does diversity mean to you and how will you contribute to the diversity of our community at Johnson?
Complete this essay if you would like to add additional details regarding your candidacy. For instance, if you believe one or more aspects of your application (e.g., undergraduate record or test scores) do not accurately reflect your potential for success at the Johnson School. (400 word limit)
How did you strengthen your application since you last applied/ (400 word limit)
Formatting suggestions: 12 pt. font, Times New Roman, single spacing. (400 word limit)
Collegiate Activities and Employment - List your extracurricular activities while in college in order of importance to you. You may include details about your positions and the time commitment, honors or awards received, and dates of participation. The list may also include part-time and summer employment held while in college. Please list your employer, job title, responsibilities, hours per week, and the dates for each position.
Post-Collegiate Activities - List community activities (clubs, church, civic, etc.) and professional associations you contributed to since graduation from college. Please include the organization name, your role, hours dedicated, elected offices held, and dates of participation.
Hobbies and Activities - Please describe any hobbies or activities that hold special significance for you.
Two recommendations are required. We encourage you to ask a direct supervisor or another professional contact. Examples include a colleague, client, or former supervisor. If you are still in school, we recommend asking an internship supervisor or an individual who knows you from a leadership role.
1. How long have you known the applicant? (20 characters)
2. In what capacity have you known the applicant? Be specific. (100 characters)
3. What are the applicant's most outstanding abilities or characteristics? (1500 characters maximum)
4. What are the applicant's most noticeable weaknesses? (1500 characters maximum)
5. What impact has the applicant had on the organization in which he/she works? (1500 characters maximum)
6. Please comment on the applicant's personal and professional integrity.(1500 characters maximum)
7. Please give examples of the applicant's performance for any Top 2% rating from the table. (1500 characters maximum)*
8. Please provide us with any additional information you may have about the applicant.(1500 characters maximum)
*Applicant Ratings (Not Observed, Below Average Bottom 25%, Average Middle 50%, Very Good Top 20%, Excellent Top 10%, Outstanding Top 2%)
1. Leadership Ability
2. Persistence and Drive
3. Ability to Work with Others
6. Professional Maturity
8. Goal Orientation
9. Ability to complete projects and meet deadlines
10. Ability to analyze problems and formulate solutions
11. Oral communication
12. Written communication
13. Interpersonal Skills
14. Overall rating of the applicant
re-applicants must submit a new application. You must create a new account for the online application and submit updated information, including supplementary materials. You will need an alternative email address for the new account. We also require an essay about how you strengthened your application.
Office of Admissions
Johnson Graduate School of Management
111 Sage Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853-6201
Telephone: (800) 847-2082
Online Application: https://admissions.johnson.cornell.edu/admissions/AppHome.tap
Last updated: July 27, 2012