Harvard University: Harvard Business School (HBS)
The application deadlines for the MBA Class of 2015 are:
Application Deadline: September 24, 2012
Notification: December 12, 2012
Application Deadline: January 7, 2013
Notification: March 27, 2013
Application Deadline: April 8, 2013
Notification: May 15, 2013
* Application submitted online by 12 noon Boston time.
English Language Testing
In what context are you currently reading, writing, and speaking English?
- Reading: (250 characters only- do not use carriage returns, bullets or unnecessary spacing)
- Writing: (250 characters only- do not use carriage returns, bullets or unnecessary spacing)
- Speaking: (250 characters only- do not use carriage returns, bullets or unnecessary spacing)
-How does pursuing an MBA support your choices above? (max. 500 characters)
Company/Organization Information (x3)
- Nature of business: (200 characters only- do not use carriage returns, bullets or unnecessary spacing)
- Job Description
Your responsibilities: (200 characters only- do not use carriage returns, bullets or unnecessary spacing, as this may truncate your answers and prevent them from being viewed by the Admissions Board)
Key accomplishments: (200 characters only- do not use carriage returns, bullets or unnecessary spacing)
Most significant challenge: (200 characters only- do not use carriage returns, bullets or unnecessary spacing)
Reason for leaving: (200 characters only- do not use carriage returns, bullets or unnecessary spacing)
Awards & Recognition (x3)
- Basis of Selection: (200 characters only - do not use carriage returns, bullets or unnecessary spacing, as this may truncate your answers and prevent them from being viewed by the Admissions Board)
Limit your responses to the lengths indicated.
Single-space your essays.
Please use Times New Roman font type and 12 pt font size.
Write the question at the top of each essay.
Refrain from using images and/or any other nonstandard English characters in your essays. They may prevent the system from processing your application.
The two questions below are required of all applicants. If applying to a joint degree program, please upload an additional essay in the Joint Degree candidates section below.
1. Tell us about something you did well. (400 words) (upload document)
2. Tell us about something you wish you had done better. (400 words) (upload document)
For Joint degree candidates:
How do you expect the joint degree experience to benefit you on both a professional and a personal level? (400 words)
Use this section to include any additional information that you believe is important for the MBA Admissions Board to have in evaluating your application, but that you were unable to include because of the constraints of the online application. (Response length limited to 500 characters)
Three recommendations are required to be submitted online. Our general advice is that two out of three recommendations should be from your professional life - ideally one of those should come from a current or recent supervisor.
-Please feel free to comment on the ratings you have assigned above. (max. 500 characters)
Please answer the following questions in a separate document and upload that document into the system using the Upload Document button.
- Most recommendations are 1-2 pages in length, but you are welcome to write more if you wish.
- Single-space your responses
- Please include the question or question number in your response.
1. Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization. (250 words)
2. How does the candidate's performance compare to other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? (250 words)
3. Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250 words)
4. Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Board. (250 words)
Harvard Business School will consider only one application per year from potential applicants. All reapplicants, including those who were previously admitted, are required to complete the current application in its entirety. This involves creating a new application. While previous applications may be retained on file and consulted at the MBA Admissions Board's discretion, a reapplication must stand on its own merits as a complete and independent application.
Reapplicants should be aware that GMAT or GRE scores from tests taken before January 1, 2008 will not be accepted, and TOEFL iBT or IELTS scores from tests taken before January 1, 2011 will not be accepted. If the test scores from the previous application are still valid, there is no need to resubmit the official test score. All reapplicants must pay the nonrefundable application fee.
Reapplicants do not have an advantage or disadvantage in comparison to other applicants.
Address: Dillon House, Soldiers Field, Boston, MA 02163
Tel: (617) 495-6128
Web site: http://www.hbs.edu/
Electronic application: https://hbs.askadmissions.net/emtinterestpage.aspx?ip=createapp
Last updated: July 16, 2012