Columbia University: Columbia Business School (CBS)
Applicants must complete one short answer question and two essays.
Short Answer Question
What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (200 characters maximum)
Essay 1 (Required by all first-time applicants and reapplicants who last applied before 2012)
A. Why are you pursuing an MBA at this point in your career, and how do plan to achieve your immediate and long term post-MBA professional goals? (Maximum 500 words)
B. Please view this video, entitled Community at Columbia. Diverse, tight-knit clusters and carefully selected learning teams are defining features of the first year at Columbia Business School. Along with more than 100student organizations and countless events each semester, the cluster system helps to create a supportive and devoted lifelong community. Describe why you are interested in becoming a part of the Columbia community. (Maximum 250 words)
Essay 2 (Required by all first-time applicants and reapplicants who last applied before 2012)
Describe a personal experience and how it has influenced who you are today. This essay should have a personal rather than a professional focus. (Maximum 500 words)
Is there any further information that you wish to provide the Admissions Committee? Please use this space to provide an explanation of any areas of concern in your academic record or your personal history. (Maximum 500 words)
Rather than answer the first essay question above, current Knight-Bagehot Fellows applying to Columbia Business School should use the space allocated to the first essay to complete the Wiegers Fellowship application essay.
Wiegers Fellowship Essay Question
What are your career goals? How has the Knight-Bagehot Fellowship affected these goals? How will an MBA help you achieve these goals? (750 words maximum)
Reapplication Essay (Required by all reapplicants who last applied in 2012)
A. How have you enhanced your candidacy since your previous application? Please detail your progress since you last applied and reiterate how you plan to achieve your immediate and long term post-MBA professional goals. (Maximum 500 words).
B. Please view this video, entitled Community at Columbia. Diverse, tight-knit clusters and carefully selected learning teams are defining features of the first year at Columbia Business School. Along with more than 100 student organizations and countless events each semester, the cluster system helps to create a supportive and devoted lifelong community.
Describe why you are interested in becoming a part of the Columbia community. (Maximum 250 words)
1. What is your relationship to and how long have you known the applicant? Is he or she still employed by your organization?
2. Please list three to five adjectives describing the applicant's strengths.
3. Please compare the applicant's performance to that of his or her peers.
4. What does the applicant do best?
5. If you were giving feedback to the applicant regarding his or her professional performance and personal effectiveness, in what areas would you suggest he or she work to improve?
6. How does the applicant accept constructive criticism or handle conflicts?
7. How effective are the applicant's interpersonal skills in the workplace?
8. On the below scale, please rate the applicant's individual vs. team orientation (1= most effective as an individual contributor; 5= focused exclusively on the team). Please elaborate on your rating:
9. Please give an example of how the applicant has demonstrated leadership.
10. Is there anything else you feel we should know?
* Word limit not specified.
* All applications require two recommendations. If you have been working full-time for at least six months, one recommendation should be from your current supervisor. The second recommendation should be from either a former direct supervisor or from another professional associate, senior to you, who can add personal insight into your candidacy.
Submit one new recommendation letter, preferably from your current employer, but if not, another colleague in a supervisory role or a client will suffice. Reapplicants with questions should contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-854-1961
Those reapplying more than one year after their previous application should adhere to all the requirements of new applicants. Those reapplying one year or less from the date of their previous application need only do the following:
Submit a new application fee (US$250)
Update the "Personal," "Family," "Employment," "Education," and "Extracurricular Activities" sections of the online application.
Update the "How Will You Finance Your MBA?" section of the online application.
Submit transcripts of any additional courses taken since your previous application.
Submit one new, two-part essay.
Submit one recommendation letter.
Office of Admissions
3022 Broadway, 216 Uris Hall
New York, NY 10027
Tel: (212) 854-1961
Online Application: http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/applynow/start/onlineapp
Last updated: July 1, 2012
Columbia Business School